Sunday 24 February 2013

Popular Sydney Sheikh Mustapha Al Majzoub martyred in Syria


Speech given by Sh. Mustapha al-Majzoub at the Muslim community protest for Syria held on Jan 21, 2012 at Paul Keating Park, Bankstown, Sydney, Australia. Courtesy of Nahda Production
Sydney, Australia – The Syrian conflict has gained a very powerful local feel with news that popular Sydney Sheikh Mustapha Al Majzoub has been killed in Syria. Sheikh Mustapha, who is of Syrian background travelled to Syria in early June to assist with humanitarian aid.
The circumstances surrounding his death have yet to be confirmed. However it is understood that he died in a rocket attack while undertaking humanitarian work.
The popular Sheikh is the brother of Sheikh Fedaa Majzoub, the only Australian member of the opposition Syrian National Council, who is also currently in Syria and was present at his burial.
In January this year Sheikh Mustapha gave a speech at a protest rally in Sydney against the regime of Bashar Al Assad in which he spoke about the need to support those being oppressed anywhere in the world, in particular Syria. He described how the Muslim Ummah’s fuel is the blood of its martyrs.
There has been an outpouring of sorrow and pride on Sheikh Mustapha Al Majzoub’s Facebook page. The overwhelming response being one of pride that the Sheikh died as a martyr.
Sheikh Mustapha’s last post on his Facebook page was on Aug 3 2012 in which he wrote:
One important lesson I learnt where I am is:
never judge a person by the greatness of his biceps or the width of his shoulders or the loudness of his voice or his aggressiveness in front of other Muslims or by the hype talk he repeats, rather judge him by his steadfastness at calamities and on the battlefields. subhanallah I met brothers here who from the first instance you might think they are too merciful or weak (due to the way they treat other Muslims), however on the battlefields they are lions that roar. They are stern and firm, they scare their enemies more than 100 men with big muscles. like the way the companions where described in the Quran. (they are merciful towards one another and stern against their enemies).
On June 5 before departing for Syria after a short visit to Sydney, he posted:
As I embark on my journey I sincerely ask Allah to give victory to our brothers and sisters everywhere I ask Allah to relief the distressed and aid the weak.
It was a pleasure seeing many of my brothers and sisters during my stay in Sydney.
I ask Allah to unite us again at times better than these times. And to gather us under his shade on the day when there is no shade but his shade.
May Allah bless you all and use you as servants for this deen.. May Allah make you of those whom he is pleased with.
Plz pardon and forgive me if I have wronged you in anyway.
Assalam alaykum aw rahmatullahi wa barakatuh.
A post written by Sheikh Mustapha Al Majzoub on the 14th of April, 2012:
Probably many are wondering what happened to me & why have I suddenly disappeared.. Well the news is that I have decided to move to Turkey (Antakya) to be as close as I can be to the front lines to serve my brothers & sisters inside & outside Syria.
This decision was sudden & much needed.
My dear ones despite the fact I was busy prior to traveling conveying the reality that the Syrian people are living, Wallahi what I saw & heard so far shocked me.
I visited so far two Home hospitals & I saw live that which I heard or saw on TV, I saw a man with a lost hand & a man with a lost leg & another paralyzed & another with a hole in his foot etc..
I visited one of the refugee camps & saw how our Muslim brothers & sisters are living, wallahi it’s devastating, take for example an entire family lives in a plastic tent & hundreds have to share the toilets & laundries.
Wallahi my dear brothers & sisters it’s a devastating state what I saw & what I heard direct from Syrians about people in Syria.
I have decided to spend as much time here in Turkey to help, I have great hope in Allah that my brothers & sisters in Australia will help me help them, I have direct access to everything here & I can overlook where all donations go.
I swear by Allah I will direct every dollar you send to the ones who need it most inside Syria or in Turkey. Not a dollar will go on anything else, I am covering my own expenses from my own savings.
If you wish to help plz contact my brother Ibrahim & he’ll come to you wherever you are in Sydney to collect the money, his number is (witheld) or you may msg me on Facebook or contact me on skype (Mustapha Al Majzoub).
May Allah purify our intentions & deeds.
I love you for the sake of Allah & hope you remember me & your brothers in your Duaa
Wassalam alaykum.
The Sheikh is survived by his wife and young family. His death will have a profound effect on Sydney’s Muslim community, especially the youth. May Allah have mercy on his soul.
Community condelences ( Aza) will be held on Tuesday Aug 21st at 5:30pm at Lakemba Mosque, Wangee Rd Lakemba (this event was previously going to be held at the Al-Risalla book store in Bankstown).
RELATED:

Statement from the family of Sheikh Mustapha Al-Majzoub

The family would like to thank the community for the amazing support and messages of condolences that they have received following the news of the death of Sheikh Mustapha.Sheikh Mustapha was killed by a rocket attack on Sunday 20 August while carrying out humanitarian and charity work to help the people of Syria.
“Although it is a time of sadness as we have lost a much loved member of our family, we are honoured that Sheikh Mustafa died doing what he has been doing his entire life – selflessly serving the community for the sake of pleasing God”.
The family kindly requests that it’s privacy be respected during this time of sorrow and will not be making any further public statements.

No comments:

Post a Comment